Compelling Writing, Engaging Characters, Evocative Settings
Who doesn’t love a well-told historical tale? Sure, we know people didn’t smell that great back in the day, and wearing those tight corsets, heavy dresses and pinchy shoes had to be decidedly uncomfortable. But still, we like to dream about times gone by—eras in which manners were different, clothing was fabulous, and travel meant adventure.
At Smitten Historical Fiction, we look for authors who have a strong sense of the periods they write about—an understanding based on careful research and wide reading. Smitten authors have a compelling literary voice and a thorough understanding of the elements of story.
While Smitten is inspirational, Christian content doesn’t have to be overt. But any inspirational message must be organic and seamless, not preachy.
When you choose a Smitten Historical Romance, you know you’ll be transported back in time to a place, an era and a situation that is realistic in its setting. Our goal is to engage the reader from the first paragraph to the last in a story that touches the mind, heart, and spirit.
What is Smitten Historical Romance?
Historical romance that features inspirational stories from the Bible era through the 1970s. Smitten is:
- Winsome characters caught in interesting situations
- Strong, attractive heroes and likable, spunky or independent heroines, all of whom are imperfect
- Solid character development and realistic motivations
- Vivid descriptions that immerse the reader in the setting without distracting from the story
- A realistic setup that addresses issues characters faced in the chosen era
- A strong plot that keeps the reader engaged until the satisfying conclusion
- Fresh, lively or evocative prose
- A seamless faith element that is never didactic and may even be very light
- Compelling writing that evokes emotion
- A setting that entices readers, whether in North America or around the world
We’re open to any historical era or setting, but are currently interested in:
- Colonial America
- WWI through the 1920s
- Marriage of convenience
- Mail-order bride
Preference given to stand alone novels at this time.
We do not accept simultaneous submissions. Authors must be agented unless they have met Pegg and discussed their writing with her. Submit to Pegg Thomas at smitten